Brake Inspection and Maintenance for Killeen, TXIt is important to have your entire automotive brake system inspected at least once per year, but having brake pads, rotors and drums checked every six months is an even better idea. Brake pads and rotors must be kept to an acceptable thickness to prevent more costly brake system damage. Maintaining your cars brake system is among the most important steps to take in keeping your vehicle safe for you and your passengers. Ray’s Certified Mechanics offers Killeen, TX brake inspection and brake repair you can trust.
Types of Brake Systems:Most vehicles today use an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), yet many vehicles still on the road use standard brake systems. The main components of a brake system include the rotors, the calipers and the brake pads, or brake shoes on drum brakes. Usually it is the pads or shoes that go unchecked and wear out that causes more serious damage.
What to Consider when Choosing Brake Repair in Killeen, TX:Since brakes are one of the more important parts of your vehicle, selecting a shop that doesn’t cut corners when fixing them is important. We have years of brake system experience and take care to ensure your brakes function as they should.
Types of Brake Pads and Brake Shoes:Typically, there are two types of brake pads on most vehicles today. The most common brake pads installed on passenger vehicles are:
- Semi-metallic brake pads. Most common. Long-term durability. The downside is that are sometimes noisy, they produce brake dust and they tend to wear down rotors faster than ceramics.
- Ceramic brake pads. Less noisy and they wear down more slowly. Create less dust. Only downside is that they cost a little more than traditional brake pads.
Brake System Warning Signs:Here are a few of the warning signs that may indicate your car needs to be checked. Please call us right away if you are having any of these issues:
- Unusual shaking or vibration when applying the brakes
- A high-pitched squealing noise coming from the brakes
- A grinding noise or scratching noise when traveling at low speeds when not even applying the brakes
- Having to applymore pressure to the brakes to get your vehicle to stop properly.